Trump Killed Subsidies to Insurers, Not You
Though Trump is slashing healthcare subsidies directly paid to insurers, it does not affect anyone who qualifies for a premium subsidy or tax credit. In short, the government won’t be paying insurers anymore, just you. While insurers are now denied subsidy payment, the government still pays for your care by funding Medicaid and offering tax credits. These subsidies are mandated by the Affordable Care Act, it is law.
Even with Trump cutting off federal payment to insurers, under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) insurers still have to provide discounted plans. With no money from the government to offset the cost of cheaper plans, insurers will be footing a larger portion of the bill resulting in higher premiums. Most insurers are likely to specifically raise the premium rates of silver plans as those are the plans where cost-sharing reductions are applied. In case you’re worried how you’ll pay for the rate increase of silver plan know that tax credits will go up to pay for the higher premiums.
The takeaway is knowing that until the ACA is repealed, your access to affordable health care is protected and ensured. It is simply the law. The only threat is if all insurers pull out of the exchange, leaving consumers with no options to enroll in a plan that is subsidized. But for now, breathe easy because you are still covered and the government is still subsidizing your care.
Let us know if this article was helpful either through Twitter (@hellojoany) or by dropping a comment below. We’d love to hear from you and answer any questions you may have!
Open Enrollment is now active! See if your county is ready by checking joany.com/truth.
- Congressional Budget Office. (2016, February 11). Private Health Insurance Premiums and Federal Policy. Retrieved from https://www.cbo.gov/publication/51130
- Kaplan, Thomas, & Pear, Robert. (2017, October 13). End to Health Care Subsidies Puts Congress in a Tight Spot. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/us/politics/trump-congress-obamacare-insurance-subsidies.html
- Luhby, Tami. (2017, October 13). Trump Kills Obamacare Subsidy Payments: What it Means. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/13/news/economy/trump-obamacare-subsidies/index.html
- Park, Haeyoun. (2017, August 15). What Happens if Health Subsidy Payments Stop. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/08/15/us/what-happens-if-health-subsidy-payments-stop.html
- Scott, Dylan. (2017, October 13). Who’s Going to be Hurt by Trump’s New Attack on Obamacare. Retrieved from https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/13/16468788/obamacare-open-enrollment-cost-sharing-reductions-trump